Bike Racing, Weight Lifting, Heavy Metal, Shittalking

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Crossfit Total

Your total in Crossfit is the combination of your 1 rep max for the squat, overhead press and deadlift. Yesterday at my Elements class, I did 225, 135, 225, respectively, for a total of 585. This places me just below a novice. I was taking it easy so I didn't re-injure my back. I was a little intimidated by the idea of a 1 rm deadlift. It was not nearly as bad as I though it would be. I wasn't even sore the next day.

I think I have a lot of room for improvement, in form and strength. I haven't been in a gym since May, and previous to that most of my training was hypertophic. I have enough muscle, I don't need to be any bigger. I anticipate gaining about ten lbs over the winter. I am 195 right now, but I was 207 at the beginning of last season. I need to get a lot stronger in my upper body to do some of the W.O.D.s as prescribed. I should be realistic and focused with Crossfit and what I want to get out of it. Focus on core strength, high intensity metabolic conditioning and olympic lifting. I want to do muscle ups and kipping pull-ups, but really, that will take a while.

I certainly feel that the training makes my back feel better in the long run, even if it gets agitated in the short term. I am going to to continue lifting through the season next year, just to maintain my lover back health.

No comments: