Bike Racing, Weight Lifting, Heavy Metal, Shittalking

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

First Wednesday, Last Wednesday

My last race day at Kissena before I move was a good one. I did three races: unknown distance scratch, point-a-lap and two heats of chariots. I used an 88" gear for all three to work on leg speed.
The unknown distance scratch was the usual cat and mouse antics. I was planning on tail gunning, but you know how plans go. I was hiding out in back just letting everyone fight it out up front for five laps or so when I decided to better my position because I knew the sprint was coming eventually. I made some moves towards the front, not really pulling, going up when others pulled through. I was down in the sprinter's lane when one by one every other racer backed off leaving me at the front. I was ok with that, taking my turn, putting in my dues, just kinda putting along at a rather slow pace. But wouldn't you know it they rang bell after half a lap of me at the front, with a lap and a half to go before the finish. I didn't really react to the bell until turn four when I heard my teammate, Andrew Lacorte, behind me yelling "GO! Go! Go Alex, go!" I didn't even look back, just turned it up as hot as I could hoping to give Andrew a good leadout, which I did. Coming out turn four, again, he came up and blocked trying to give me the 2nd place but I was cooked, pedaling squares for the last 100 meters. I finished third, Gary Steinburg got second. I was happy with the contribution to my teammate's win.

The next race was a Point-A-Lap. Not really my kinda race. I rolled around for a bit, got caught behind the break. I made a few halfhearted attempts to bridge, but no one else was really willing to work with me so eventually I dropped out of the race.

I had two heats Chariots. Andrew was in both, and he won both. I didn't really have any plan or strategy, it's only 400 meters from a standing start. I started both high on the bank and planned using it accelerate those last few mph's. The first on Andrew razored me to the line and there was a significant gap between us and third place. The second heat had a Junior Nationals racer with us, Dan Sullivan, and he was my main concern; if I got Andrew that would be good, if not then what-evs. I went from the gun for the win. I got to the front going into turn 3 but Andrew drafted me and swung around with a big kick through turn 4, just blowing me away. I was pretty cooked but managed to hold on to a close second against Gary who managed to hold on to Andrews wheel across the line.

3rd place Omnium, 2nd in two Chariot heats and 3rd in an Scratch. Not bad!

No comments: