Bike Racing, Weight Lifting, Heavy Metal, Shittalking

Thursday, August 7, 2008

New Wheels and 3rd Place Omnium!

Wednesday at Kissena was the only racing I got into this week. I got to Tom Dolan's house on Tuesday only to have him decide not to go to T Town on account of the big green rain blob that was gonna hit at 6 or 7. I concurred. I went off looking for a bolt on skewer for my new wheels.

Did I mention my new wheels? Former teammate o' mine Austin Horse sold me his original 440 Zipps on the layaway plan! Stoked! I needed to get a skewer for the front. I went to six bike shops in three borros before I found one, B's Bikes in Brooklyn, that had one that wasn't a locking skewer of some sort. I even went to Toga, against my better judgment. They proved to be just as big of asses as usual. I hate them.

Kisssena, yes. There were a tone of people there last night. They had two cat 5 fields. I got there late and didn't have time to warm up. I put too much air in my tubulars and was bouncing around too much during my first race, a points race. I dropped out after the first sprint. Oh well it was a good warm up. Next was a 5 lap super tempo. 3/2/1 points on each lap. Tony got away right off the bat and I sprinted up to him. I took a lap behind him and said that he should pull up and let me work that I wouldn't sprint him for the lap. Just as he pulls up top let me pull through Todd caught us and passed over Tony. I managed to say never-mind to Tony before taking off. Todd was slowed just enough by Tony that I had a good gap coming around for the third lap. We split up the rest of the points and I got second. Yeah!

7 lap scratch. One guy went off the front while I sat in the back with John Campo while the cat and mouse played out. Ken Harris was off the front with two laps to go and made a hard drive up to the front, tried to get a good position then just decided to go after not really finding a place to hide. I was running down Ken pretty good on the bell lap when he looked back at me and took off. I caught a tailwind in corner 3 and along with my big fat thighs, I closed the distance on him to half a bike. 2nd place number 2! The feature was a miss & out. I made it about a third of the way into the race before I let myself get pulled. I hate m&o's, and I had third in the omnium, anyway. Elite Nats just might happen!

No comments: